Reduced climate impact via Green Site

All new construction sites within NCC have undergone climate-aware adaptations since autumn 2010. NCC applies such environmental and climate adaptations to all new projects over SEK 50 million in Sweden.

These involve making the worksites more energy-efficient, with low-energy site offices, eco-aware vehicles, low-energy lighting and ecolabelled electricity. The broad Green Site initiative also includes NCC's construction sites in other countries.

Our definitition of Green Sites includes:

  • Ecolabelled electricity
  • Low-energy site offices and stores
  • Energy-efficient and demand-controlled lighting
  • Energy-efficient machinery
  • Eco-aware handling of waste products

Green Sites is an important factor in reducing the company's impact on the climate, and the purpose of the change is to speed up the green transition of the construction industry. The measures also support the Group's environmental objectives concerning the switch to climate-neutral products and services.

Lower energy use needed in construction

Another important reason for limiting the climatic impact of the production phase and focusing on Green Sites is that it is a key factor in calculating the building's environmental impact over its entire life cycle.

Over the lifetime of a building, energy use has been put roughly at 15 percent for its production, with the remaining 85 percent of the energy being used during operation. When building low-energy buildings, the proportions change, making energy use in the production phase a larger component – unless climate adaptations are made. As market demand for low-energy buildings increases, environmentally adapted construction will play an increasingly important role.

Svante Wijk, Energy Strategist at NCC Building Sweden, was part of the team that developed the guidelines for Green Site.

“Green Site involves taking account of the climate and to a certain extent also the working environment at the construction site and in the production process. For construction to be considered green, you need to have low-energy site offices, demand-controlled lighting and ecolabelled electricity, for example. Using environmental vehicles and machinery and limiting the amount of transport are also important, as is handling materials in an environmentally responsible way.”

- Svante Wijk, Energy Strategist at NCC Building Sweden

“We carefully monitor all the measures that we implement, with a view to constantly improving and tightening the requirements.”

- Svante Wijk, Energy Strategist at NCC Building Sweden

“The transition to more eco-aware construction sites has moved very quickly in recent years. Better products and services are constantly being developed. Since demand for low-energy site offices has become so great, it can sometimes be hard to source them in certain places. Then it becomes necessary to consider what replacement measures can be applied in the meantime. It's possible, for example, to insulate between and under the portable buildings, to make them more energy-efficient. Heat pumps and occupancy-controlled lighting are other installations that can usually be arranged.”

- Svante Wijk, Energy Strategist at NCC Building Sweden