Renovation of Lampan talo

Located in Pohjoisesplanadi in Helsinki. The building was renovated into a restaurant and office building. Its owner, Hartwall Capital, and other family-owned companies, moved into the new facilities in 2013.

The purpose of Lampan talo was changed from a hotel into offices and a street-level restaurant after Hartwall Capital acquired the property. The building is protected and its renovation was supervised by the Helsinki City Museum. The building's appearance and materials, original spaces, structures and fixed furnishings needed to be preserved.

In addition to surface repairs, a glazed roof was built over the patio and a lift was installed inside the building. All of the building's water, sewer, ventilation and electrical systems were replaced and a cooling system added. Furthermore, nearly all of the original wooden floors were first taken out and then reinstalled, original floor beams as well as base and intermediate floor structures were disinfected and restored back to their original condition.

“The building had an incredibly healthy wooden frame,” says Site Manager Matti Huotarinen.

During the dismantling and construction stages, historically significant findings were made which the Helsinki City Museum added to its archives.

Background information

Lampan talo was built in 1817 and its wing in 1835. Merchant and magistrate Johan Lampa developed Lampan talo as his residence and commercial building. In 1858–1880, the building was home to a company which later evolved into the Stockmann department store. Hartwall Capital acquired the property in 2012 from the bankruptcy estate of businessman Ilkka J. Kari. Hartwall's mineral water factory has earlier operated in the Sederhom building close to Lampan talo.